Why Was A Peace Agreement Reached In Northern Ireland

On the Unionist side, the “no” campaign was much stronger, pointing to what were presented as concessions to denial and terrorism, in particular the release of convicted paramilitaries (often those who had killed friends and relatives of Unionist politicians and were serving “life sentences”), the presence of “terrorists” (what they thought of Sinn Féin) to the government , the absence of guarantees for the downgrading of the perceived bias of the process towards a united Ireland, the lack of confidence in all those who would implement the agreement, the erosion of British identity, the destruction of the Royal Ulster Constabulary, the vague language of the agreement and the hasty manner in which the agreement was written. In response to the IICD announcement, Ian Paisley, chairman of the DUP (then the largest party in Northern Ireland), described the downgrade as a failure. He rejected the conclusions of the two commissions, concerned about the manner in which the weapons were delivered. As part of the decommissioning agreement, no photographs were allowed and recordings were prohibited. The agreement was for Northern Ireland to be part of the United Kingdom and remain in place until a majority of the population of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland wished otherwise. If this happens, the British and Irish governments will be “obliged” to implement this decision. Direct domination of London ended in Northern Ireland when power was formally transferred to the new Northern Ireland Assembly, the North-South Council and the Anglo-Irish Council when the opening decisions of the Anglo-Irish Agreement came into force on 2 December 1999. [15] [16] [17] Article 4, paragraph 2 of the Anglo-Irish Agreement (the agreement between the British and Irish governments on the implementation of the Belfast Agreement) required both governments to inquire in writing about compliance with the terms of entry into force of the Anglo-Irish Agreement; The latter is expected to come into effect as soon as both notifications are received. [18] The British government has agreed to participate in a televised ceremony at Iveagh House in Dublin, the Irish Foreign Office.

Peter Mandelson, Minister of Northern Ireland, participated in his participation in early December 2, 1999. He exchanged notifications with David Andrews, the Irish Foreign Secretary. Shortly after the ceremony, at 10:30 a.m., the Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, signed the declaration of formal amendment of Articles 2 and 3 of the Irish Constitution. He then informed the D`il that the Anglo-Irish agreement had entered into force (including some endorsements to the Belfast Agreement). [7] [19] Despite the interim agreement between Sinn Fein and the DUP, arbitrary terrorist attacks continued to be perpetrated by dissident groups.